I recently landed upon a cream cheese recipe book by Philadelphia cream cheese. There are so many recipes that just need a little tweaking! This is the first one I tried and it’s so good! Trying out this recipe was just the excuse I needed to buy spaghetti squash again! It’s sort of high in carbs so I don’t get it too often. I’m afraid it will be hard to not indulge in this dish and keep my carbs under 20-25 net carbs for the day. It’s going to be one of those days where I save ’em all up for dinner time! I already know it will be worth it.
If you haven’t had spaghetti squash it’s a really cool vegetable. It has a very mild flavor once roasted that comes though only a little bit with a cream sauce or marinara sauce on top. I love the way it feels like thin spaghetti in my mouth. I find that people who don’t like vegetables succumb to this one.
Once it’s roasted you just run a fork down through and long strands of squash come out. I like to roast it with salt, pepper, oil, and just a smidge of minced garlic. It does take about 50 minutes up to an hour to roast. I have heard that people just stab the hell out of it, microwave it, then easily cut it in half to scoop the seeds out. Even though it’s not as easy to cut the squash in half before it’s cooked I think it’s worth the elbow grease to get the roasted flavor into the dish. I haven’t tried microwaving yet so I’m not sure about the directions for that.
The sauce comes together very quickly. I used a bag of store bought bacon bits to make it even more simple. Seriously, cutting the squash in half is the hardest part! The recipe in the book says to use chive and onion cream cheese. Whipped cream cheeses with added ingredients often times have added sugars and ingredients that might be considered “hidden carbs” so I usually avoid them. It’s really quite easy to just flavor the cream cheese, or in this case the sauce, yourself.
I can’t wait to eat this tonight! We are having it with Italian marinated chicken thighs and homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert! What a decadent meal for St. Patrick’s day!
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 2-3 oz of bacon bits
- 2 slices of tomato diced and rinsed off
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush with oil and season with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Place on baking pan using the middle rack of the oven and roast for 50-60 mins.
- Let cool about 20-30 mins so you can handle it. (I waited about 15 mins and it was pretty hot still.)
- Pull out strands of squash with a fork and set aside.
- Add bacon and tomato to a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Slice up cream cheese and add it to your pan along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat the sauce until it starts to bubble up.
- Add spaghetti squash and fold into the sauce.
- Top with bacon bits and chives.