Ahh Fruit. I have never been a crazy craver of fruit. It is so nice to be able to have strawberries though. In moderation. Don’t you just hate that word? How can I have all that strawberry flavor in moderation and still be satisfied? Fun fact: Strawberries aren’t actually berries at all. (you might want to scroll past this tangent! Haha!)
Berries must have a seed inside it and strawberries carry their seeds all over the outside. So it’s just fruit. Some examples of true berries are: Avocado, banana, blueberry, coffee berries (what are those?), cranberry, currant, grape, pumpkin, and tomato! I digress though. (Hang on. Banana!? That one surprised me. Did you know commercially grown bananas are clones of a hybrid that produces a seedless fruit which means all the (commercially grown) bananas are identical and also sterile? So if it’s seedless is it still a berry? Who cares, I don’t eat them.)
I threw this filling together one day in a mad frenzy of lusty fruit cravings (Ok, not really..but I was getting tired of peanut butter-blasphemy, I know!) and magically it came out really really well.
I was very surprised at how much I liked the strawberry flavor considering fruit is not on my have to have at all times list like chocolate. I do usually put this on top of a chocolate crust though so that might have something to do with it!
One hundred grams of strawberries have about 6 carbs in them. That’s enough to flavor a pack and half of cream cheese easily. I use the darkest and mushiest ones because they are the sweetest.
Vanilla, sweetener, egg, cream cheese, strawberries and cream.
I used a whisk for all my recipes for a really long time. I finally broke down and bought an electric mixer last year. I know it’s a pain to store, and with the beaters they can end up cluttering up your utensil drawers. However, I say declutter your storage areas and buy yourself an electric mixer for the love of god! I don’t know how I went so long without one. Pour your batter on top of your favorite crust recipe!
I like to cut this up into bars and drizzle chocolate over the top of them. This is breakfast (dessert?) for days.
- 1 1/2 packages of cream cheese
- 100 grams mashed strawberry
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar eqivualent
- 1 egg
- 9x6 baking pan or 8x8 baking pan
- Mash strawberries with heavy whipping cream using an immersion blender or food processor.
- Soften cream cheese in the microwave and add egg, sweetener, vanilla, and pureed strawberries.
- Mix with an electric mixer until all ingredients are well incorportated.
- Pour over your favorite crust recipe and bake at 300 degrees for 30mins.
- Chill for at least 4 hours and best served the next day.
- I like to drizzle metled sugar free chocolate mixed with coconut oil over the top and slice this into bars.