Why didn’t anyone tell me how good this is sooner??? I thought there’s no possible way we could have anything that tastes like milk while being low carb. Almond milk couldn’t possibly taste like milk and heavy cream is too thick and almost tastes like butter to me. I don’t even really like it in my coffee that much.
I broke down and bought the unsweetened almond milk finally and I wasn’t very pleased with it. I liked the smoothness of it. It’s cold and delicious but it wasn’t milk. So finally it clicks. I’ve been part of groups and forums for low carb diets for years and years. I think I’ve seen it mentioned about a million times. Adding heavy cream to almond milk really does make it taste like milk. It’s like they’re perfect for each other.
Almond milk is nice and low calorie. You only need a small amount of heavy cream to balance the flavor out and when you add cocoa powder its pure joy.
My son and I call it ice cream milk. I love that I can make this up ahead of time and pour a glass whenever I feel like it! You can use sugar free strawberry syrup or sugar free chocolate syrup in this as well.
Low Carb Chocolate Milk RecipeCourse: Keto
48 ounces unsweetened vanilla almond milk
8 ounces heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
sweetener to taste (I use about 14 drops ez sweet or roughly 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar equivalent)
- In a very large bowl pour out almond milk and heavy cream.
- Measure out cocoa powder and add in the sweetener.
- With an immersion blender combine your ingredients until all the cocoa powder is blended. (Taste test at this point to see if it’s sweet enough).
- Pour into a container with a lid and store in the fridge.
- Nutrition per 8 oz 143 Calories; 14g Fat; 2g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2 net carbs