Minute French Toast
I have been dying to share this! The recipe was shared with me in a facebook group for ketogenic dieting as a minute muffin recipe. The first time I tried it I nearly fell over it was so good. I literally doubled over and said, “Oh my GOD!” Kind of like how I felt when I had almond flour biscuits for the first time. This tastes exactly like french toast. Fluffy and moist like a bread dipped in custard on the inside. Crisp like it should be on the outside. Simply perfection. I have to share it with the world. (If you have tried this recipe and love it like I do please consider helping Leanna out! )
I had a feeling in my heart looking at the ingredients that it was going to be amazing. I wanted it to look amazing too. The only thing I had that was like a mug but square shaped was my tupperware container. It turns out to be a fantastic size and shape for making this recipe. I used spray oil on it to ensure my toast would come right out. I use all the cinnamon in the mix. You can do half in the mix and half on top as well though.
Leanna says to just take a tbsp of butter and put it directly in the center and one of these days I’ll follow other people’s rules!! Today was not that day though. I think I just like tiny dice butter.
A good thing to experiment with before you try any of these mug recipes is to scramble an egg in your microwave. Take an egg, scramble it and microwave on high. My microwave (1200 watts) only takes 45-50 secs to get a perfectly scrambled egg. It comes out still moist and not overcooked at that number. Find out how long it takes to microwave an egg in your microwave and you’ll know how long to cook the mug cakes for. This will help you avoid overcooking/undercooking because it’s really really easy to overcook things in the microwave! Also if you take this out and it comes out not quite done put that thing back in your mug/tupperware and microwave for another 10-20 secs. You can still save it.
Woohoo! Ready for the pan. I just need to slice it in half. When you take a knife to this it easily slices through. (That’s because it’s so soft and moist inside!! Are you getting excited? You should be.)
Butter up that pan, or throw it in the toaster!
Minute French ToastCourse: Keto
3 tbsp plus 1 heaping tsp almond flour
2 tsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (add half to batter and use the other half on top)
3 tbsp sugar free maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter
- Crack egg into coffee mug, mix in all ingredients EXCEPT for the butter.
- When the batter is smooth and completely mixed, then add your tablespoon of butter right into the center. No need to mix it in or melt it first.
- Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, depending on your microwave strength. When it’s done it should still be soft and spongy.
- Carefully slice it in half and stick the two halves in the toaster (I pan fry this after microwaving. Our toaster tends to trap this in the slots and makes it difficult to get out after toasting.)
- Top with more butter, cinnamon, sweetener or sugar free pancake syrup.
- 326 Calories; 27g Fat; 13g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 5 net carbs